A Bereavement Payment is a tax-free lump-sum payment of £2,000 to help you at the time your husband, wife or civil partner dies.
You can get a Bereavement Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner paid enough National Insurance contributions, or if their death was caused by their job, and:
- You were under State Pension age when they died, or
- They were not entitled to Category A State Pension when they died.
You can’t get a Bereavement Payment if, at the time your husband, wife or civil partner died:
- You were divorced from them, or your civil partnership had been legally ended
- You were living with someone else as if you were married or in a civil partnership with them, or
- You were in prison or legal custody.
You can claim a Bereavement Payment up to 12 months after your husband, wife or civil partner died.